How Can It Help?Mon, Jan 17th 2011
I am a young professional woman. My problem is that I am feeling a total lack of purpose for waking up in the morning. This is not new because its been going on for years, perhaps since my teenage years. However, I am now really concerned. I just threw away a very promising career opportunity because I felt depressed.
Sometimes everything is fine and I have a good mood but I always end up feeling sad and lonely and clueless about what I want.
It has also been very hard for me to find and maintain a relationship with a man. Also, alcohol abuse has been a constant since I was very young.
I really cannot handle my life anymore. I have a lot of issues that I know cannot be answered or solved by email.
What I would like to know is what to expect from psychological therapy? Can I be fully functional and happy? How long does it take? How do I know if a psychologist is good? Does it work for everybody?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.