Is Recovery Possible?Tue, Jul 5th 2005
I am a lesbian who has been in an on and off relationship with a woman Sara throughout this past year. In the meantime, Sara was in a relationship with another woman Elizabeth on and off throughout the year (they had been in a relationship about 7 months before mine started). Supposedly Sara had ended that relationship two months ago. Recently, I learned that Sara had still been seeing Elizabeth, but had mostly been sleeping with her. Sara has since started counseling, as have I. We both have learned things about ourselves, but are currently not in a relationship together and do not talk. I still love her and miss her and wonder if she and I will ever be able to be back together in the long-term future. I have been in the process of recovering from codependency and she from some addictions. It is clear that the recovery process will take a long time for both of us. I just wonder if it is ever possible for someone like Sara to recover and to be able to be in a serious long-term relationship since she has struggled most of her life with one (she's 40). What do you think?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.