10 year old dreaming of killingFri, Nov 24th 2006
My 10 year old is a very bright child who has read advanced books since age 5. He loves medieval fantasy books and can read one book per day when not in school. He is also very sensitive and about a year ago choose to become a vegetarian not to hurt animals. He talks about helping poor people and preserve the wild. He attends an advanced class. At home he is happy and does not play a lot computer / electronic games.
Recently we had a long conversation and he confided that he has been dreaming of kiling people, he refered to them as soldiers lead by barons and kings. When I asked what he thought were the causes of his dreams, he said he did not know. He also told me that I should not worry because killing people is a choice and he would never made that choice.
I am worried and afraid and really do not know what to do. I always though of him as a very caring chld and still do but his dreams seem to me as an expression of aggresivity I did not know existed.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.