I am 18 years old and I have been battling many mental health issues for some time now and am wondering if anything is mentally wrong with me. I kicked drugs about four months ago, and have stuck to it. I did it on my own, however, and went completly crazy and lost my mind for a while. I had to quit my job, and I didn't know if I would ever be stable again. I dealt with a very hard transition after quitting drugs, and after a while seemed to be doing fine. I have found that I go in and out of social anxiety. I'll be confident one moment, and the other I get so nervous I think I'm going to explode. Now I have just been staying home in fear of this. I have also experienced a blackout in a social setting and an anxiey attack that made me sweat, I felt weight on my chest, and I was disoriented. A lot of the time when I am out in public, I feel out of it and confused and nervous. I have had a lack of motivation, tiredness and aweful pain in my back. My body has been falling apart with illness, infection and pain. I don't know what's wrong with me and feel that some of the only times I am comfterable and confident are the times I 've gotten drunk since I quit the hard drugs. I am not dependent because it is only recreational. I know I can feel good and happy oon my own I just don't know how. Is there any advise you have on what could possibly be wrong with me? I know there has to be a chemical imbalance or something because this is not me.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.