How do you get a 81 yr woman to get help when she is in strong denial??Mon, Mar 12th 2007
Mom has lived with my the past 5 years, along with my husband and now 7 and 5 yr. old. She has constant visual hallucinations, paranoia, seen a psychiatrist 2 times, told psychosis NOS? Symptoms have progressed to include swearing, talking to these people in our home at all hours, talking about child molestation in our basement, MOST of this goes on in front of my children. I can\'t have her admitted, she has her normal moments when she is my old Mom. She will not go see a doctor nor take any medication BECAUSE don\'t tell her there is anything wrong with her. She would go if there was. I have been passed on and on from her primary internal medicine doctor, to University programs, HOW do you get her help? I feel like I have no support. My children are scarred in our own home. We live near Chicago.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.