MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER? SCHIZO? BI-POLAR?Sat, Jul 7th 2007
MY FIRST HUSBAND AND MY 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTERS FATHER I THINK MAY SUFFER FROM A SPLIT PERSONALITY DISORDER. I MET HIM WHEN I WAS VERY YOUNG AND WAS OFTEN SCARED OF HIM BECAUSE OF HIS STARK MOOD CHANGES. HE WOULD OFTEN SAY THINGS AND ACT ONE WAY AND THEN 15 MINUTES LATER WOULD BECOME VERY IRRITABLE AND SAY HE WOULD NEVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT. HE CHEATED ON ME AND WOULD STAY OUT OFTEN. HE MADE ME FEEL CRAZY BECAUSE HE WAS NEVER THE SAME AND ALWAYS SAID I ACCUSED HIM OF CRAZY THINGS ( EVEN THOUGH HE REALLY DID OR SAID THEM). HE WOULD BE VERY DEPRESSED AT TIMES, HE TRIED TO KILL HIMSELF ABOUT 5 TIMES. I JUST EVENTUALLY DECIDED HE JUST WAS MEAN AND TRYING TO TORTURE ME AND HE HAD ISSUES HE DIDN\'T UNDERSTAND OR CARE TO UNDERSTAND. WHEN I HAD OUR DAUGHTER AND HE DIDN\'T CHANGE I DECIDED T LEAVE FOR HER SAFETY. I GAVE HIM JOINT CUSTODY BECAUSE HE WAS CRYING THAT HE DIDN\'T WANT HER TO THINK HE DIDN\'T LOVE HER (SHE WAS THEN UNDER A YEAR OLD). I REGRETTED THAT DECISION THE MINUTE AFTER I MADE IT. HE MADE THINGS DIFFICULT FOR HER AND I BUT THE COURTS WOULD ONLY SEE THAT WE HAD JOINT CUSTODY MAKING IT MANDATORY FOE HIM TO BE ABLE TO SEE HER WHEN HE WANTED. YEARS LATER TALKING TO MY 13 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER SHE TELLS ME SHE IS SCARED OF HIM BECAUSE HE IS LIKE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE, THE THINGS SHE TELLS ME SOUND EXACTLY LIKE THE AT LEAST TWO DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES I HAD TO DEAL WITH. IS IT POSSIBLE HE HAS MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.