I have been married for a year. I have known my husband for almost 4 yrs. Tension has been accumulating because he was laid off. It's been about a year now when everything blew up. I threatened to leave him. Instead, he left and took our daughter.
He is very short tempered. He never hit me but has been physical in holding me back. He treats his stepdaughter, my oldest from my first marriage, very cold and bitter and she loves him like a father.
Now he tells me that he no longer feels like the man of the house because my parents decide everything about our children and he has no say.
I'm in between a wall and a sword. Should I listen to my mother and leave the home we started together or forgive him for taking our daughter and try to start over without my parents in the picture?
Please help. I don't have much time because I need to see my daughter and don't know what to do?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.