I am 19 years old and I am having problems with my father. I am his only daughter, and the youngest of four. All of my brothers were sexually abused, possibly by my father, and I am not sure if I was ever molested. I am having a lot of problems recently with my mental health. I am diagnosed severe depression for about 3 years. I am trying to get past everything but I cannot remember everything that happened when I was a child. My father was very verbally abusive and sometimes would hit my other brothers. I, myself have not been hit, or I cannot remember. I do remember seeing the beatings of my brothers. I want to move on from my father because I have so much hate for him. I do not live with him, my parents are divorced. But he is a sociopath (he fits the descriptions perfectly) and very deceiving. He manipulates me with guilt trips and buys me things now to win me back.. i can not get rid of the guilt that I feel for him, and it is hurting me a lot! I need to know how to move on and I am just scared, but I don't know what of. I do not want to see him anymore but the guilt and hopelessness I feel are holding me back. I have a very low self esteem issue and he was the problem of that, I believe. I just need to get away... Please Help!
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.