I have been married for 19 years to a verbally abusive person. I was young, pregnant, and never married before. I was his 3rd wife; it took me a while to figure out why the other two left. We have 3 sons, the eldest 17 and the youngest 7. I am a college student. I have really enjoyed the experience of college and the journey through the knowledge of learning. He resents every minute I spend away from the house and belittles me. There is not an easy way out of this situation. I have refused to have relations with him until he seeks anger therapy. He will not go. I have no job, no money, and no one in my family who is supportive. I do have friends who tell me to just go. I need a plan; I cannot drag my children from a loving home on a farm to live in low income housing. I do fear for my life should I try to go. He has often said if I try to go he will kill my pets, and I will not get one penny from him for any support. I need concrete advice. I am 43 years old, a college Junior, so it will be some time before I get a degree and a job. I am also diagnosed Manic-Depressive on meds, so if I were dropped from his insurance there could be serious problems for me there too.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.