I am a 23 year old male, currently single but have had my share of relationships. I had sex for the first time when I was 18, and have never been able to achieve orgasm. As of lately, I have noticed that it puts strain on my relationships because my partners feel like I do not truly care for them (it couldn't be anymore untrue). I had a rough childhood through family dysfunction and, just lately, I remembered when I was in 1st grade and I slept over at a male friend's house when his older brothers began talking about oral sex. My "friend" and his older brothers actually began practicing it on each other and tried to get me to do it. All I can remember is becoming extremely frightened, and I think that this memory plagues me, especially when I try to practice healthy sexuality with my girlfriends. I have performance anxiety, and I almost feel like the nervous feelings I get before committing the act curb my sex drive. I don't know what to do.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.