How do I cope with the fact that I am failing my youngest daughter? She's a senior in high school and I know she wants to go to college. Her father makes enough money to send her to a public university, but I don't know how to advise her, I never attended college. She seems lost and unable to find her way as much as I am. Her dad is waiting for her to come to him with plans and details and I think she just doesn't have much of a clue about what she wants to do towards her education and future. It feels like I should know how to advise her, but I don't. She is a good person and I know if she ever finds her niche she'll do well, but how will she find it between now and high school graduation? I want to support her, but feel so inadequate because I have no real college experience. Her dad travels a lot and is swamped at his job and wants her to handle all the details and I think she is as overwhelmed as I am. How do we do this and stay sane?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.